Well working in the office this morning and got the call that the ski hill was opening after all the drift clearing. Read More…
The last few years Full On Adventure guides have been riding loads of trails across BC and checking out the cool places to stay, eat and drink.
BC is covered by forest and so I guess it is natural they have used allot of wooden features in their trails, downed tree teeter-totters, seesaws and skinnys. With stunning views, the remains of old growth forest create a mystic feel to many places and the massive old stumps even get incorporated into the trail. Another feature which we love about BC riding are the rocky slabs, lots of them and seamlessly incorporated into the trails.
We ride the trails that the locals didn’t even know we knew about, the classics and the IMBA epics. As well as all pedal power cross country trails, we use a mixture of 4WD shuttle uplift and chair lift access so that you can get the maximum miles in. The most suitable bike for this trip is an all mountain bike, but you’d also be fine with a cross country or a down hill bike with the option to hire alternative bikes when needed. Pretty much it comes down to your riding style, your aspirations and how you want to do it. If you want to down hill every day, that is doable, if you want to cross country each day that is doable, most of us mix it up. With so much awesome trail to ride this trip will exceed your wildest expectations.
So it is true there are people who spend their whole lives travelling the world mountain biking. Here‚¬„¢s what you do: you get the skills, you get the experience, make the contacts and then develop a lifestyle to suit you. For example, you could find employment such as:
- Mountain bike guides work in New Zealand running heli-biking tours
- Mountain bike guides work in Canada, both guiding in bike parks and shuttling bikers on 4WD minibus accessed all mountain riding and well as cross country guiding
- Mountain bike guide work in Scotland guiding cross country, coaching bike skills and running training courses and assessments for multi-activity bike instructors in outdoor centres
You will develop your own contacts to ride and guide beyond the course. This course is our prerequisite to taking the NGBs in mountain bike guiding and starting your path to living the dream.
We run single and multi day skill development courses for Mountain Biking.
Using the single track trails and fantastic terrain, where we are based in the Cairngorms national park, our guides will develop your riding skills so that you can get the most out of your riding.
We can use all wild trails or some of the excellent man made riding trails and features to coach your biking and ensure your confidence and skill build.
We have a purpose built skills course designed to coach and session mtb riding skills needed on the mountain trails and biking courses.
Skills we cover depending on your aspirations and the type of riding you want to do could include:
- technique for climbing and descenting loose or rocky terrain
- cornering at speed on loose ground, switch backs and burms
- drop offs
- bunny hops / wheelie hops
- riding table tops and doubles
- steep rocky descents
You can book one day or get a multi-day discounted price.
We also offer qualification courses for leading MTBing. See our qualification courses page for SMBLA Mountain Bike leadership courses.
We tailor make these courses you you so that we can cover the content that you need. It is important that you leave our course with the following knowledge and practical skills.
- avalanche awareness and safe travel
- navigation on skis
- use of skins and ascending technique
- down hill skiing with rucksack and off piste techniques
- route choice and planning
- winter skills for ski mountaineering including use of axe and crampons
- The Winter walking skills course focuses on transfer of knowledge, the course will introduce and develop your winter skills so that you can get out in Scottish winter conditions with more confidence and safety to achieve your goals. If you looking more for a guide mountain walking trip then take a look at our Classic Cairngorm Mountains adventure journey as we can run that for winter conditions.
- Scottish Ski Mountaineering is aimed at introducing you to this ideal way to travel in the Scottish Mountains in winter. We’ll look at ski technique, navigation on skis and safe travel in Scottish winter conditions. This is the ideal first step prior to ski mountaineering in the higher ranges around the globe. Prior on piste skiing experience is needed, contact us to discuss your experience and suitability of this course.
- Scottish Winter Ice Climbing. Join one of our Mountain Instructor Certified guides on a 1:2 instructor to client ratio and learn how to climb in winter conditions in Scotland. Ideal for summer climbers wishing to get into winter climbing, or winter walkers wanting to get into climbing graded routes in the winter. Ice climbing, snow climbing and everything that Scotland can throw into the mix, that makes Scottish Winter climbing.
- Ski Touring on forest tracks. This is using light weight touring boots and skis with climbing scales, so that you can go up and down hill, along the forest trails of the Cairngorms. The course shows you the techinics needed and covers everything you need to know to get out ski touring, this is also a good course for people who have never skied before as no prior skiing experience is needed.
Here at Full On Adventure we are all about tailoring our courses to your aspirations, with our local knowledge, the simply fantastic natural environment here in the cairngorms, what could be a better choice for a great walking holiday.
The intinerary below is just as an example as we can make the course more or less demanding to suit you and the weather.
Our guides are mountain leader qualified in summer and winter conditions.
The Cairngorms are on our door step so if you want a local guide for mountain walking in this area we are the local experts.
We have excellent links with good quality accommodation providers in the area if you need that, or if you have already booked accommodation we offer guided only packages.
We can tailor make dates and courses to suit you. We offer one to one guiding and guiding for groups of two people or more. We can run walking trips on dates to suit you, or book one of our scheduled Cairngorms mountains courses.
This is the ideal course for mountain bikers who have limited time in the area and want the expert insider knowledge on the best local trails; or for people who have discovered MTB-ing through riding at the many new excellent trail centers this course is all about discovering where your MTB can really take you. Ever tried heather surfing, riding on grippy neve snow or tackled munros or mountain ridges on your bike; if you’d like too, then this is the trip for you.
Courses from 1-5 days. To get the most out of the Cairngorms you really need a week, but if a weekend or long weekend is all you have we will work with you to get in the best riding.
We run these course by arrangement so contact us to check out your prefered dates and we can help with everything from riding, to good accommodation and where to get the best pint at the end of the ride.